The Hawthorn Foundation administers a Scholarship Fund that provides grants to Wyoming individuals to enable them to complete a high school, undergraduate, graduate or technical school education in the field of their choice at any accredited school they may choose that is located in the United States. The Hawthorn Foundation’s scholarship program is intended to enable highly motivated individuals to improve their life circumstances through education and training. Scholarship recipients will be selected on an objective and nondiscriminatory basis.
To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants must reside in Wyoming and plan to attend on a full-time basis a fully accredited educational institution in the United States. Applicants must submit with their application: (i) a detailed plan outlining how they propose to use scholarship funds, including the name of the educational institution they wish to attend, the tuition, fees and other expenses that would be required for attendance, the duration and location of the program, and the degree or certification they hope to obtain (an “Education Plan”); and (ii) a description of how pursuing the contemplated course of study would improve his or her life circumstances (a “Personal Essay”). Applicants need not be traditional students who are generally eligible for scholarship aid from a variety of other sources. Rather, they may be non-traditional students, such as:
- Individuals whose needs are not being met at their public high schools and need to attend a private or alternative high school;
- individuals who received a General Equivalency Degree (“GED”) instead of a high school diploma;
- individuals who did not finish high school and have not obtained a GED but would like to obtain a GED and/or pursue an education at a technical or vocational school that can teach them a valuable skill for earning a living;
- low-income adults who are returning to school, or are starting a higher education for the first time;
- low-income individuals who will be the first in their family to attend college;
- individuals who are striving to overcome obstacles in their lives (e.g., foster care system, homelessness) and are looking to make a fresh start through education; or
- returning military.
Scholarship applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be evaluated based on a variety of criteria, the most important of which are:
- quality and strength of the applicant’s Education Plan;
- quality and strength of the applicant’s Personal Essay;
- demonstration of motivation, enthusiasm and aptitude to pursue and complete the educational program;
- degree of financial need.
If you are interested in learning more about Hawthorn Foundation’s Scholarship Program, please visit our Contact Us page and send us a message. We will provide you with complete information about the program. If you are eligible to apply, fill out our Online Scholarship Application today.